I have configured a Cisco VPN 3005 concentrator to use digital certificate
authentication successfully with openssl.  However, whenever I configure the
concentrator to read the CRL file via http, I receive a Certificate
validation failure and the VPN client fails to connect.  I am using the same
CA that is configured on the concentrator to generate the CRL, and the
certificate on the client has not been revoked.

I am running a Red Hat 8.0 server with OpenSSL 0.9.6b.

I generated the CRL using the following command :

openssl ca -gencrl -keyfile private/cakey.pem -cert cacert.pem -out
crlfile.crl

I have verified that the concentrator can access this file. (Removing read
permissions from the file results in an access error on the concentrator.)

The error log entries are as follows:

351 11/22/2004 15:21:23.850 SEV=5 CERT/116 RPT=18
Requesting CRL using HTTP. The HTTP URL is:
http://192.168.1.98/crl/crlfile.crl

352 11/22/2004 15:21:23.860 SEV=4 IKE/80 RPT=18
66.123.111.19
Group [VPNClient]
Certificate validation failure, Successful
(CN=ClientTest, SN=06)

354 11/22/2004 15:21:23.870 SEV=5 IKE/194 RPT=19 66.123.111.19
Group [VPNClient]
Sending IKE Delete With Reason message: No Reason Provided.

Is there something different that I have to do to create a valid CRL that
meets industry standards? The VPN client can connect successfully if the
concentrator is not configured to perform CRL checking.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Rich Faulk