Yep.  Environment variables are being set.  I've even tried including a SetEnv
in the Apache config instead of setting the variables inside my code.  I've
written them to the log, and they're definitely being set.  They're just being
ignored.  As I said before, the problem goes away if I just disable mod_ssl and
connect to the server using regular HTTP (while continuing to use HTTPS to
connect to Tomcat within my code).  mod_ssl on => HTTPS_CA_FILE ignored (or the
code that's executed by whatever reads the variable fails for some reason).
mod_ssl off => HTTPS_CA_FILE gets used to validate Tomcat's certificate.   I
can only assume that some global variable is being set when mod_ssl is
configured that causes the change to HTTPS_CA_FILE (or HTTPS_CA_DIR) to be
ignored when they're used by code running within mod_perl.  Two of us worked on
it for hours and that's the only conclusion we could draw, though neither of
would have thought that was the case before we saw it for ourselves.

Rich Eggert
Member of Technical Staff
Proteus Technologies, LLC
http://www.proteus-technologies.com