Richard Koenning wrote:
Ryan Shon wrote:

In particular, we are unclear as to what redistribution rights
the OpenSSL license would grant to customers who purchase
our OpenSSL variant.  Would they be allowed to redistribute
our optimized library?

The license enumerates the conditions which have to be met for redistribution. I think the discussion can be shortened when you explain which point of the license is unclear to you.
Ciao,
Richard

My boss hopes to sell this OpenSSL variant as a product.  Because
of this, he would not want customers who buy this product to be
free to redistribute it on their own.  If we were only to modify
existing OpenSSL, then I assume our entire product would be subject
to free redistribution by customers under the license.  Is this correct?

However, if the cryptographic library in our OpenSSL variant
were written from scratch, using no OpenSSL code (while the SSL library
still used OpenSSL code), would we have the right to forbid
redistribution of our cryptographic library and its source?

I hope that clarifies my question.

Again, thank you for your help.