> I am unable to think of a scenerio why ur case is possible unless some
> serious network congestion has developed and pkts were lost..i dont see
> how..but the experts might able to give u a better idea.

You get a SYN, send a SYN ACK, other side sends an ACK, then the other
side's Internet connection goes down due to an extended power failure. You
will be waiting for it to send the first SSL handshake message forever.

Blocking function block until the operation completes, fails, or it is
proven impossible for it to ever succeed.

DS