I need to build OpenSSL on Intel Linux (Fedora Core 4, if it matters)
for PowerPC and  ARM targets.  Someone before me did this for us with
0.9.7 and a bunch of patches to Makefiles but it's not portable or
flexible and as I'm revising our build environment somewhat, I'd rather
do it the "right" way than patch his patches.

I note in the FAQ that autoconf, et al may come but are too UNIX-y for
OpenSSL and I see that point.  What I seem to be missing is autoconf's
distinction between prefix and exec-prefix; I can't figure out how to
(easily) modify OpenSSL's Configure, Makefiles, etc. to put includes in
../target/include but libraries in ../target/<arch>/lib, apps in
../target/<arch>/sbin, etc.

I saw a tantalizing thread from 2006 in the mailing list archives that
talked about adding an mingw target to Configure and I wonder if that's
not the way to go.  Should I add powerpc-linux and arm-linux target
lines to Configure to do what I want?  If so, I don't see how; the
existing targets are inscrutable to me.  Can someone point me to
documentation on their format?  Or advise me on a better way to do this?

                                         Chris