I need to build OpenSSL on Intel Linux (Fedora Core 4, if it matters)
for PowerPC and  ARM targets.  Someone before me did this for us with
0.9.7 and a bunch of patches to Makefiles but it's not portable or
flexible and as I'm revising our build environment somewhat, I'd rather
do it the "right" way than patch his patches.

I note in the FAQ that autoconf, et al may come but are too UNIX-y for
OpenSSL and I see that point.  What I seem to be missing is autoconf's
distinction between prefix and exec-prefix; I can't figure out how to
(easily) modify OpenSSL's Configure, Makefiles, etc. to put includes in
../target/include but libraries in ../target/<arch>/lib, apps in
../target/<arch>/sbin, etc.

I saw a tantalizing thread from 2006 in the mailing list archives that
talked about adding an mingw target to Configure and I wonder if that's
not the way to go.  Should I add powerpc-linux and arm-linux target
lines to Configure to do what I want?  If so, I don't see how; the
existing targets are inscrutable to me.  Can someone point me to
documentation on their format?  Or advise me on a better way to do this?

                                         Chris

Hi,

for ARM you can try Scratchbox (http://www.scratchbox.org), it's a complete
environment that runs in Linux and it enables you to build ARM executables
with the regular gnu tools (gcc, make, ...). You can also run ARM
executables in it. If you have the possibility, try to do it on a
Debian-based system, it's only a matter of adding the correct deb-sources
and doing 'apt-get install'.

FWIW, I got OpenSSL compiled in Scratchbox!

I don't have any experience with PowerPC, so can't help you there.

Regards,

Steven