On Mon, Oct 22, 2007, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:

> Thomas J. Hruska wrote:
>>> I am trying to compile version 0.9.8f for Windows, using VC++ 6.0,
>>> ActivePerl, and MASM 6.15.8803.
>>>
>>> I am following the instructions in INSTALL.W32, which works fine for
>>> the previous 0.9.8f build, but when I get to the point of running
>>> "nmake -f ms\ntdll.mak" I get the following errors in 0.9.8f:
>>>
>>> Building OpenSSL
>>>         ml /Cp /coff /c /Cx /Focrypto\sha\asm\sha512-sse2.obj
>>> .\crypto\sha\asm\sha512-sse2.asm
>>>  Assembling: .\crypto\sha\asm\sha512-sse2.asm
>>> .\crypto\sha\asm\sha512-sse2.asm(29) : error A2006: undefined symbol :
>>> XMMWORD
>>> .\crypto\sha\asm\sha512-sse2.asm(30) : error A2006: undefined symbol :
>>> XMMWORD
>>> .\crypto\sha\asm\sha512-sse2.asm(31) : error A2006: undefined symbol :
>>> XMMWORD
>>> .\crypto\sha\asm\sha512-sse2.asm(32) : error A2006: undefined symbol :
>>> XMMWORD
>>>
>>> Actually I get 21 more of these same errors, each with a different line
>>> number.
>>>
>>> Did someone forget to add the equate for XMMWORD?
>>> Can anyone tell me how XMMWORD should be defined?
>>>
>>> -Chris
>> Has this problem been solved yet?  I've got lots of people asking for the
>> pre-built binaries of 0.9.8f for Windows and haven't seen anything to the
>> effect that this has been fixed.  I can't build this even with VS.NET
>> 2003.
>> Due to the way I build the official binary releases, I can't modify the
>> build process to force the compile to succeed.  That is, there has to be
>> an official release number from the OpenSSL dev. team.  This probably
>> means I'll have to wait for 0.9.8g.
>
> Oops.  Meant 0.9.8h.  Neither 0.9.8f nor 0.9.8g compiles.

It's a problem with older versions of MASM.

The following patch works around this issue:

http://cvs.openssl.org/chngview?cn=16708

However MASM is being phased out in OpenSSL (it wont be supported at all in
0.9.9) so you are advised to switch to the free NASM instead which doesn't
have such problems.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.