On Mon, 2009-01-19 at 11:22 +0000, Young, Alistair wrote:
>  * is it possible to define our own curves (rather than using
>    one of the predefined curves)?

if you want to play with your EC, check crypto/ec/ectest.c
if you want to add a new curve to openssl, have a look at
crypto/ec/ec_curve.c, crypto/objects/object.txt

I opened a thread in openssl-dev: Adding an EC to OpenSSL.

>  * how configurable is the hashing step?  I see that there are
>    parameters like "-ecdsa-with-SHA1" - can arbitrary hashing
>    functions be used?

there is only sha1. You have to add more EVP, I think...
OpenSSL 0.9.9 is required for public-key EVP.

>  * where can I find some good (= simple!) documentation on using
>    OpenSSL for this task.  I've not had much luck finding anything
>    relevant in the man page.

source code? ECDSA has also doxygen comments :-)

bye!
--
Emanuele Cesena <emanuele.ces...@gmail.com>
http://ecesena.dyndns.org