Since from the looks of it your feeding enc an entire disc image, the
first question of course is: have you tried your process with a
smaller file, say a snippet of about 1K of data or even less?

(I'm thinking about hidden boundary issues here, so best would be to
check the process with something tiny, then try a  bigger size, and so
on.)

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Nickfx <n...@csitech.co.uk> wrote:

> 24 hours on and still stuck!
>

> Nickfx wrote:
>>
>> Hi, first post here and I wonder if anyone with a larger brain than me can
>> help?
>>
>> I'm in Windows XP Pro and using DD to image a disk and then pipe to
>> openssl to encrypt.  I'm using the -pass pass:'anotherpassword' switch to
>> make decryption by the user as easy as possible.  It looks like this:-
>>
>> dd if=\\.\PhysicalDrive0 conv=noerror | openssl enc -aes-128-ecb -salt
>> -out encryptedfile.enc
>>
>> I enter the passphrase when prompted and verify.
>>
>> Encryption appears to work and I can see the SALTED line at the start of
>> the file in a Hexviewer.
>>
>> However when I try to decrypt using:-
>>
>> openssl enc -d -aes-128-ecb -salt -in encryptedfile.enc -out finished.dd
>>
>> and type in the passphrase..
>>
>> I get the following:-
>>
>> bad decrypt
>> 4064:error:00065064:digital envelope routines:EVP_DecryptFinal_ex:bad
>> decrypt: .\crypto\evp\evp_enc.c:330:
>>
>> I've seen alot of posts that say the passphrase is wrong however I and a
>> collegue have tried this 20 or 30 times with phrases from 123 to hello to
>> more complex.  We havent got it wrong each time!
>>
>> When I look at the resultant file I can see NTFS at the start of the file
>> meaning it has sort of worked but when I hash compare the input and output
>> they are different so something hasnt worked.
>>
>> I am well and truly stuck!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Nick
>>
>> Nick