> Victor Duchovni wrote:

> > Because in amost all cases that's exactly the right advice.
> >
> > The cryptography learning that is sufficient and desirable is from books
> > such as "Applied Cryptography" which cover protocols and algorithms
> > at a high level. Studying the implementation or creating ones own
> > implementation is for experts who don't need to ask questions, or ask
> > sufficiently interesting questions that it is clear they are experts.

> As soon as someone tells me that I shouldn't learn about something and
> that it is my best interests to remain ignorant, I no longer trust that
> thing, or the people giving the advice. This is especially true of crypto.
>
> Regards,
> Graham

He didn't say you shouldn't learn about something or that it's in your best
interests to remain ignorant, he pointed out that you are starting in
completely the wrong place.

If you honestly thing investigating the implementation of OpenSSL will yield
you useful information on whether or not you should trust it, you are
seriously deluded. The implementation of OpenSSL is regularly scrutinized by
real honest-to-goodness cryptography experts, and if you look at the last
ten significant security issues found in OpenSSL, there's maybe one that
could conceivably have been located by someone who is not a serious crypto
expert.

On the flip side, it's easy for a non-export to screw it up by thinking
there's something he can/should mess with in there. For example:
http://blogs.computerworld.com/fixing_debian_openssl

You are barking up the wrong tree and ignoring good advice.

DS