On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 07:43:34PM +0530, Emmanuel, Mathews  IN BLR SISL wrote:

> Inference:
> 'Meinberg NTPV4 4.2.4p7' client sends the ASSOC request and receive the ASSOC
> response from our server. But the Meinberg client again sends the ASSOC
> request to our server instead of sending the CERT request.

This is the OpenSSL users list. It seems to me that question belongs on
an NTP developer list. If you have a question about how to construct
message digests, please ask that question, directly.

A common pitfall, which I am guessing you did not fall into, but just
in case: Make sure you don't use strlen() or strcpy(), ... with raw
binary message digests, as these will contain null bytes, with a probability
of 1/256 per byte. The odds of an MD5 digest containing no null bytes are:

        (255/256)^16 ~ 93.9%

For SHA1 these drop to:

        (255/256)^20 ~ 92.5%

perhaps your MD5 test was "lucky", and SHA1 test was unlucky? If you
are actually computing and copying the hash value correctly, the rest
is material for an NTP protocol discussion list.

--
        Viktor.