OK, one step forward.  I guess that previously you had a path error
because you need to create a link (correctly) to point to your gmake
program.

And the CCSID of the delivered tools package is unimportant - it's the
CCCSID of the unpacked programs that is important.

Hmmm.

 Message ID . . . . . . . . . :   MCH3601
 Message file . . . . . . . . :   QCPFMSG
   Library  . . . . . . . . . :     QSYS
 Message text . . . . . . . . :   Pointer not set for location
referenced.

So the delivered icc is not as robust as it should be ...  As I said
before, I had to re-compile mine for CCSID 500, so had the source, so I
was able to easily track down problems such as this.

I'm looking at my source, and the only changes that I made to icc look
relatively trivial - but these are changes from 9 years ago, so my
memory may not be 100% accurate.  And I suspect that the testing that
I've done has been using my version of icc - while it executes as CCSID
500, it can be used to make binaries of any CCSID.

You have a couple of options, I think.  The techie option is to get the
source for icc and find and fix the pointer error.  Icc is just a
wrapper program that translates compile requests from a UNIX-like string
to the correct OS/400 command (as you can see from the output).  So it
is easy to debug.

The more difficult option is to try to determine which argument is
upsetting icc empirically, and then work around that - it does work out
of the box, but as you can see, is a little temperamental.

Unfortunately, I don't think that IBM offer support for the GNU
utilities - I don't know if they still offer the source code.  If you
prefer the techie option, and they don't, then I can probably send you
the source package (at your own risk).

BTW.  I'm not sure what your requirements are, but OpenSSL will run on
the AS/400 as AIX binaries under the PASE environment.  Which could be a
simpler option.

Good luck.

G.