Some additional info:

My openssl.cnf file includes the following

policy          = policy_anything

[ policy_anything ]

countryName             = optional

stateOrProvinceName     = optional

localityName            = optional

organizationName        = optional

organizationalUnitName  = optional

commonName              = supplied

emailAddress            = optional

subjectAltName          = optional

..

# req_extensions = v3_req # The extensions to add to a certificate request

[ req_distinguished_name ]..

subjectAltName          = Subject Alternate Name

subjectAltName_default          = www.foo.com

Openssl is configured as a CA.

I had added the entries for subjectAltName.    I do get prompted for this
when creating a certificate signing request (CSR.).

When I submit a CSR  created by MS Exchange shell,    the policy can  NOT
include "subjectAltName = required"-     So  clearly MS Exchange is not
using the same structure for this as openssl.

I am pretty sure I have the correct syntax for subjectAltName in
openssl.cnf.

If I try adding a field in for "planet" it is just ignored.    So it seams
clear that openssl is treating "subjectAltName" as a valid entry.

The default openssl.cnf included

[ usr_cert ]

..

# This stuff is for subjectAltName and issuerAltname.

# Import the email address.

# subjectAltName=email:copy

# An alternative to produce certificates that aren't

# deprecated according to PKIX.

# subjectAltName=email:move

..

So it looks like openssl.cnf could optionally automatically copy the e-mail
address to subjectAltName.

-Thanks