On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:45:15PM +0000, Bruce Stephens wrote:

> Michael Str??der <mich...@stroeder.com> writes:
>
> > Bruce Stephens wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Ah, my fault.  Obvious in retrospect: Debian's openssl finds the root
> >> cert because it's in the ca-certificates package!
> >
> > Did you use -CAfile as in my original posting when testing?
>
> I did.
>
> > Doesn't -CAfile set exclusively all trusted CA certs?
>
> Apparently not, the normal openssl.cnf is read and (on Debian, if
> ca-certificates is installed) that gives a set of extra CA certificates.

Correct. This *augments* the default certificate list, found in the
'certs/' sub-directory and 'cert.pem' file of the directory reported by
"openssl version -d".

>From crypto/cryptlib.h:

    #define X509_CERT_AREA          OPENSSLDIR
    #define X509_CERT_DIR           OPENSSLDIR "/certs"
    #define X509_CERT_FILE          OPENSSLDIR "/cert.pem"

The OpenSSL toolkit does not include any default roots. These are
configured by the O/S release engineering teams.

--
        Viktor.