        If you had to tweak ANYTHING then this is not a "FIPS-approved"
build.

        Carl
 On Thu 09/12/10 4:39 PM , Christopher A Hotchkiss
christopher.a.hotchk...@jpmchase.com sent:
  To All,
 I was able to get OpenSSL FIPS to build and run on Server 2008 R2 by
building on Server 2003 32bit.
 I also had to tweak the msntdll.mk file and add "/FIXED" on lines 33
and 76.
 Christopher A Hotchkiss
 JPMorgan Chase & Co. - Navy Cash Application Developer
 Email
 -----Original Message-----
 From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [] On Behalf Of Christopher A
Hotchkiss
 Sent: Monday, December 06, 2010 3:32 PM
 Subject: Problems building FIPS Openssl under Server 2008 R2
 To whom it may concern,
 I have been attempting to build a FIPS capable openssl using the
instructions in the User Guide. However I am getting the following
error while trying to run the fips validation of the archive:

c:buildopensslopenssl-0.9.8pout32dll>C:buildopensslopensslbinopenssl.exe
sha1 -hmac etaonrishdlcupfm
 C:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2.tar.gz
 2848:error:2D06906E:FIPS
routines:FIPS_CHECK_INCORE_FINGERPRINT:fingerprint does not
match:.fipsfips.c:238:
 I found a thread on the dev list describing the use of the "/FIXED"
linker flag but that is not working either. Can anyone help? I have
included the steps I am following below:
 Install Server 2008 R2 x64
 Install Notepad++
 Install .Net Framework 4
 Install Windows SDK
 Install the April 2005 x64 Platform SDK from MSDN
 Install 7-zip
 Install Gpg4win
 Install ActivePerl
 Create folder C:build
 OpenSSL FIPS - Note do not under ANY circumstances edit any of the
openssl code/scripts/files during the fips build process
 Start following http://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide-1.2.pdf
[4] on page 25
 Download http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-fips-1.2.tar.gz [5]
to C:buildopenssl-fips
 Download http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-fips-1.2.tar.gz.asc
[6] to C:buildopenssl-fips as well
 Open a command prompt start->run->cmd
 cd c:buildopenssl-fips
 gpg openssl-fips-1.2.tar.gz.asc
 It will complain about a missing public key. Check the reported Key
ID against Appendix A. If it doesn't match we have issues.
 Next goto start->all programs->gpg4win->GPA
 Click no to creating your own public key
 At the top goto server->retrive keys and enter the key id that you
saw at the command prompt.
 It should download a single key.
 cd c:buildopenssl-fips
 gpg openssl-fips-1.2.tar.gz.asc
 It should report a good signature and also complain that the key
isn't trusted.
 Validate the primary key fingerprint against Appendix A of the user
guide.
 Extract the tar.gz file to C:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2
 Make sure to keep the tar.gz around since it will be needed for
further validation after the build.
 Start at command prompt using the Microsoft Platform SDK Server 2003
x64 Retail Build Shortcut
 cd c:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2
 msdo_fips no-asm
 Once that completes create the following folder
c:buildopenssl-fipslib
 Copy to following files to that folder:
 c:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2out32dllfips_premain.c
 c:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2out32dllfips_premain.c.sha1
 c:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2out32dllfipscanister.lib
 c:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2out32dllfipscanister.lib.sha1
 Build Normal OpenSSL
 Make a folder named c:buildopenssl
 Download the latest 0.9.8b < x < 1.0.0 openssl source from here:
http://www.openssl.org/source/openssl-0.9.8p.tar.gz [7] to
c:buildopenssl
 Extract the tar.gz file to C:buildopensslopenssl-0.9.8p
 Start at command prompt using the Microsoft Platform SDK Server 2003
x64 Retail Build Shortcut
 cd C:buildopensslopenssl-0.9.8p
 perl Configure VC-WIN64A fips
--with-fipslibdir=c:buildopenssl-fipslib
 msdo_win64a
 In file C:buildopensslopenssl-0.9.8pmsntdll.mak lines 33 and 76
 add "/FIXED" to the end of the line.
 nmake -f msntdll.mak
 cd out32dll
 ..mstest
 Once that completes create the following folders
 c:buildopensslopenssl
 c:buildopensslopensslbin
 c:buildopensslopenssllib
 c:buildopensslopensslinclude
 c:buildopensslopensslincludeopenssl
 Copy to following files to their matching folders:
 inc32openssl* - c:opensslincludeopenssl
 out32dllssleay32.lib - c:openssllib
 out32dlllibeay32.lib - c:openssllib
 out32dllssleay32.dll - c:opensslbin
 out32dlllibeay32.dll - c:opensslbin
 out32dllopenssl.exe - c:opensslbin
 FIPS Validate the openssl-fips download
 Open a command prompt and run the following
 set OPENSSL_FIPS=1;
 C:buildopensslopensslbinopenssl.exe sha1 -hmac etaonrishdlcupfm
C:buildopenssl-fipsopenssl-fips-1.2.tar.gz
 Can someone please help?
 Christopher A Hotchkiss
 JPMorgan Chase & Co.
 and affiliates.
 copy format. Thank you.
 Please refer to http://www.jpmorgan.com/pages/disclosures [8] for
 disclosures relating to European legal entities.

 Automated List Manager

Links:
------
[4]