From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org]
On Behalf Of mar...@v.loewis.de
Sent: August 3, 2012 3:36 PM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: windows 8 Metro and openssl

Zitat von Nou Dadoun <ndad...@teradici.com>:

> Starting to look at trying to port some of our code to windows 8
> metro which deprecates winsock in favour of a new WinRT networking
> api which appears to provide a much thicker/heavier weight
> abstraction in which it's not clear how to make use of tools like
> openssl.

I think you misunderstand the change that Microsoft made in Windows
8. Winsock doesn't get deprecated at all; it remains available and
supported for desktop applications. It's only Metro-style apps that
need to use WinRT, and cannot use Winsock anymore.

> Is this totally incompatible with openssl (and probably any other
> open source development built on bsd sockets)?

It's fairly incompatible. Notice that not only sockets are restricted,
but also other APIs, like file access - even though CreateFile is
still around (as CreateFile2), it can't access arbitrary files on the
disk, which it would have to when loading certificate chains, private
keys, and the like.

> Has anyone done any related investigations?

I'm in the process of porting Python as a WinRT app; the sandboxing
really interferes with a lot of APIs.

If all you want is a TLS connection, you are better off using
the WinRT API for secure communication, instead of OpenSSL (except
if you want to do stuff that is not supported in WinRT).

Regards,
Martin