On Thu, Oct 11, 2012, redpath wrote:

> I have a PKCS7 file with signature in the envelope.
> What API function can I use to open the PKCS7 to extract the signature data
> and length
> and then verify the message digest? The verify is shown below assuming I got
> the signature
> data and length.
>
> int rc = ECDSA_verify(0, md, 20, signaturedata, signaturelength, pubeckey);
>
> Kinda hard to find the right functions which seems to be a pretty common
> thing.
> I did search the forum for this.

It is not a good idea to try and verify the PKCS#7 signature manually as the
signature is (usually) not the digest of the contents. Instead the content
digest is contained in a set of attributes and the signature is performed on
the digest of the attributes.

PKCS7_verify or CMS_verify will both perform the necessary operations along
with the cms and smime command line options. See the manual pages for more
details there are also demo programs in demos/smime and demos/cms.

Steve.