Those are standard MIME (part) headers and SMIME uses MIME headers,
although c-type octet-stream isn't as informative as it could be.
But if those headers are accurate for the related data you should need
-inform der on the smime -verify. Even if those headers are inaccurate
you should need -inform pem after stripping, because the default is
-inform smime which *requires* the headers. Does your decryption output
look like MIME+base64, MIME+binary, or what?

Also, what openssl version are you using? I don't think the defaults have
changed, but I might be mistaken.

If you want plain CMS and not SMIME, BC may well have an option for that,
but I don't have time at the moment to look for it.