I'm quite new to openSSL and AES and cryptography as a whole, so
please forgive my "stupid" questions.

I've read that because of the way that the AES-CBC works that it
depends on the result from the previous round in order to encrypt the
current round that it is inherently not well suited for
parallelization; which I am then guessing that it is very possible
that it would run (a LOT) slower on GPGPU than it would on an AES-NI
enabled CPU. Would that be a fair and safe assumption?

I'm also looking online and through the man pages and it seems like
that people are invoking the aesni by using the command:

openssl -engine aesni -evp aes-256-cbc ...

what's the '-evp' flag for?