I'm running on a 30 TB server with about 1.4 million files.

I think that at last audit, the single largest file is 45 GB (as an example).

And I'm prepping to run AES-256-CBC.

The host system has a SATA 6 Gbps, 10 drive, RAID5 array; so I'm
pretty sure that I can peg (or at least supply) the full 6 Gbps
bandwidth for encryption.

I'm currently using OpenSSL 0.9.8, and evaluations to upgrade to the
latest openssl package is also being considered at this time (as well
as possible a change to the host system OS to Linux (e.g. Ubuntu
12.04) or Solaris 11) or that I am just going to stream the data over
10 GbE connection (by mounting over SMB/NFS and running the encryption
using the client processor, but the data is just being passed through
during the encryption process - no data is stored on the client system
post-encryption).

The openssl wasn't recompiled from source; but whatever's
built/included with the OS.