Your code works for me, with one change to use my data file,
on (home) Vista with ShiningLight 1.0.0e and mingw gcc.

Are you by any chance also working on Windows? Remember that
on Windows C implementations (except maybe cygwin, I'm not sure)
open mode "r" means a text file, which is truncated at any 0x1A
(^Z) byte. PDF's are usually compressed and compressed data is
practically certain to contain 0x1A bytes here and there.
To handle compressed or other binary data use "rb".

If you want to see what is actually in your generated object
take the body part (i.e. skip the S/MIME headers) and feed it
as input to commandline asn1parse. If your contained data is
compressed it will display as unreadable gibberish, but you
can see something is there and get some idea how big it is.