Steve,

Apologies if I got you confused.

I am writing below what I did :
===============================
1. downloaded openssl-fips-2.0.3.
2. exported variables as dictated by user guide and suited for my
build enviroment. exported FIPS_SIG=perl mymsincore.pl (I have written
mymsincore.pl which calls editbin.exe, that gives the desired base
address, followed by msincore script came with openssl-fips)
3. ms\do_ms gave me fipscanister.lib
4. built wcecompat library as stated in user guide.
5. compiled openssl as mentioned in user guide.
Note that,  NONE of the files in openssl-fips-2.0.3 tarball was modified.

The only trick I had to use to follow the user guide is the
environment variable refers to mymsincore.pl which calls msincore
script came with  openssl-fips. I guess I am supposed to adapt the
environment variable according to my need.

kindly let me know if I have created FIPS 140-2 validated binary.

Thanks in advance ,
-Abhijit