More exactly, it appears to be one of the several servers that
fail for the longer ClientHello used in TLS1.2 by default:
-ssl3 or -tls1 uses a shorter hello and works.
-no_tls1_2 ditto and works negotiating 1.0.
-tls1_1 ditto gets 1.0 response which s_client rejects.
-tls1_2 -cipher (shortlist) ditto ditto.
(default) -cipher (shortlist) ditto gets 1.0 response and works.

>such servers should be beaten to pulp.

Agreed, but in the meantime, according to curl.haxx.se,
curl has options to specify TLS1(.0?), SSL3, and/or cipherlist,
which should allow a workaround. -1 or -3 looks easier
than figuring out a good cipherlist for the (each?) host.