On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Landen Landens <landenfam...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Mac still has OpenSSL 0.9.8.  How may I update this to the latest stable
> version?
You can't because 0.9.8 and 1.0.1 are *not* binary compatible.

You can download OpenSSL, `./Configure darwin64-x86_64-cc`, `make`,
and then `sudo make install`. Your updated version will be located in
`/usr/local/ssl`.

Using it in programs can be tricky, though. Apple's linkers do not
honor -Bstatic and -rpaths. You will have to compile/link with
-I/usr/local/ssl/include and -L/usr/local/ssl/lib.

When executing your program linked against your version of OpenSSL,
you will need:

set env DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.so:/usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.so

DYLD_INSERT_LIBRARIES on OS X is like LD_PRELOAD.

If you get obscure errors at odd times, then your 1.0.1 program
probably got runtime linking against 0.9.8. If you can get it under
the debugger, then issue `info shared` and see what version you
actually loaded.