On Tue, Apr 01, 2014 at 05:37:05AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:

> You can download OpenSSL, `./Configure darwin64-x86_64-cc`, `make`,
> and then `sudo make install`. Your updated version will be located in
> `/usr/local/ssl`.
>
> Using it in programs can be tricky, though. Apple's linkers do not
> honor -Bstatic and -rpaths. You will have to compile/link with
> -I/usr/local/ssl/include and -L/usr/local/ssl/lib.

However, alternative flags that achieve the same effect are available:

To build a library whose SONAME involves an rpath:

    $ cc -shared -Wl,-flat_namespace -Wl,-undefined,dynamic_lookup \
        -Wl,-install_name,@rpath/libfoo.dylib.1 -o libfoo.dylib.1
    # cp libfoo.dylib.1 /usr/local/lib
    # ln -s libfoo.dylib.1 /usr/local/lib/libfoo

To build an executable that uses this library:

    cc -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lfoo

Then no kludgey DYLD_ environment variables are required at runtime.

--
        Viktor.