I'm having a problem with generating certificates and I'm wondering if anybody
has any suggestions on where to look.

I have the following certificates and associated private keys:

A - certificate A generated with one version of my software not using openssl
B - certificate B generated with a new version of my software that does use
openssl
CA - a local certificate authority whose private key is used to sign both A and

I can verify both A and B using openssl verify using CA as the cafile argument.

However, when I install CA on a client and try to connect a web browser to my
server running the two different versions of software, they complain that they
cannot find the issuer with A but not with B.

I have examined both certificates and cannot find anything different about
them. As far as I can tell, the only difference is that B used openssl to
generate the certificate and A used our own custom software. The odd thing to
me is that openssl verify can verify both just fine. What are the web browsers
doing different? I've tried chrome, Firefox and opera and all behave the
same... Accepting B and rejecting A.

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to look to figure this out? A tool
to use?

I realize that actually attaching the certa might be helpful but I do not have
them handy as I write this. Please let me know if that might help somebody help
me figure this out.

Thanks!