On 10/10/13 11:59 +0400, Stan Lagun wrote:
This rises number of questions:

1. What about conditional dependencies? Like config3 depends on config1 AND
config2 OR config3.

We have the AND, but not an OR. To depend on two resources you just
have 2 references to the 2 resources.

2. How do I pass values between configs? For example config1 requires value
from user input and config2 needs an output value obtained from applying
config1

{Fn::GetAtt: [config2, the_name_of_the_attribute]}

3. How would you do error handling? For example config3 on server3 requires
config1 to be applied on server1 and config2 on server2. Suppose that there
was an error while applying config2 (and config1 succeeded). How do I
specify reaction for that? Maybe I need then to try to apply config4 to
server2 and continue or maybe just roll everything back

We currently have no "on_error" but it is not out of scope. The
current action is either to rollback the stack or leave it in the
failed state (depending on what you choose).

4. How these config dependencies play with nested stacks and resources like
LoadBalancer that create such stacks? How do I specify that myConfig
depends on HA proxy being configured if that config was declared in nested
stack that is generated by resource's Python code and is not declared in my
HOT template?

It is normally based on the actual data/variable that you are
dependant on.
loadbalancer: depends on autoscaling instance_list
(actually in the loadbalancer config would be a "GetAtt: [scalegroup,
InstanceList]")

Then if you want to depend on that config you could depend on an
attribute of that resource that changes on reconfigure.

config1:
  type: OS::SoftwareConfig::Ssh
  properties:
    script: {GetAtt: [scalegroup, InstanceList]}
    hosted_on: loadbalancer

config2:
  type: OS::SoftwareConfig::Ssh
  properties:
    script: {GetAtt: [config1, ConfigAppliedCount]}
    hosted_on: somewhere_else

I am sure we could come up with some better syntax for this. But
the logic seems easily possible to me.

As far as nested stacks go: you just need an output to be useable
externally - basically design your API.

5. The solution is not generic. For example I want to write HOT template
for my custom load-balancer and a scalable web-servers group. Load balancer
config depends on all configs of web-servers. But web-servers are created
dynamically (autoscaling). That means dependency graph needs to be also
dynamically modified. But if you explicitly list config names instead of
something like "depends on all configs of web-farm X" you have no way to
describe such rule. In other words we need generic dependency, not just
dependency on particular config

Why won't just depending on the scaling group be enough? if it needs
to be updated it will update all within the group before progressing
to the dependants.

6. What would you do on STACK UPDATE that modifies the dependency graph?

The notation of configs and there

What we normally do go through the resources, see what can be updated:
- without replacement
- needs deleting
- is new
- requires updating

Each resource type can define what will require replacing or not.

I think we can achieve what you want with some small improvements to
the HOT format and with some new resource types - IMHO.

-Angus