<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>,
> Date: 22.10.2013 19:06
> Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] HOT Software configuration proposal
>
> Hello,

> I've been reading through the thread and the wiki pages and I'm
> still confused by the terms. Is there a clear definition of what do
> we understand by component from user's and developer's point of
> view. If I write "component, type:MySQL" what is behind that
> definition? I mean how does the system know what exactly MySQL is

I think the current proposal is not that Heat would support very specific
component types (like MySQL, Apache, Tomcat etc.) but component is more of
a generic construct to represent a piece of software. The type attribute of
a component then just calls out the config management tool (e.g. Chef) to
install and configure that piece of software. By pointing a component to,
say, a Chef cookbook for setting up MySQL the runtime type would be MySQL.
That is at least my view on this.

I agree, however, that it needs to be straightened out how the term
"component" is really used.

<thomas.spatz...@de.ibm.com