From: Edgar Magana [emag...@plumgrid.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2013 11:33 AM
To: OpenStack List
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [Heat] Network topologies

Tim,

You statement "building an api that manages a network topology more than
one that needs to build out the dependencies between resources to help
create the network topology"
Is exactly what we are proposing, and this is why we believe this is not
under Heat domain.

This is why we are NOT proposing to manage any dependency between network
elements, that part is what I call "intelligence" of the orchestration and
we are not proposing any orchestration system, you are already have that
in place :-)

So, we simple want an API that tenats may use to "save", "retrieve" and
"share" topologies. For instance, tenant A creates a topology with two
networks (192.168.0.0/24 and 192.168.1.0/24) both with dhcp enabled and a
router connecting them. So, we first create it using CLI commands or
Horizon and then we call the API to save the topology for that tenant,
that topology can be also share  between tenants if the owner wanted to do
that, the same concept that we have in Neutron for "share networks", So
Tenant B or any other Tenants, don't need to re-create the whole topology,
just "open" the shared topology from tenant A. Obviously, overlapping IPs
will be a "must" requirement.

I am including in this thread to Mark McClain who is the Neutron PTL and
the main guy expressing concerns in not  having overlapping
functionalities between Neutron and Heat or any other project.

I am absolutely, happy to discuss further with you but if you are ok with
this approach we could start the development in Neutron umbrella, final
thoughts?

Thanks,

Edgar