On Nov 4, 2013, at 7:31 PM, Clint Byrum <cl...@fewbar.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Kyle Mestery (kmestery)'s message of 2013-11-05 06:35:04 +0800:
>> On Nov 2, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Salvatore Orlando <sorla...@nicira.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi.
>>>
>>> I looked at the detailed API specification submitted by Edgar.
>>> I think that the document Edgar shared does a fine job in discussion how an
>>> API for managing logical topologies should work.
>>> On the other hand, there are two aspects which still need some
>>> clarification, and which perhaps are at the source of the confusion
>>> regarding whether it belongs to neutron, heat, or anywhere else.
>>>
>>> First, the "use cases" section merely re-states the objective session. I
>>> think that section should somehow address the questions "why do we need
>>> this API?" "How having an API for storing network topologies would be
>>> useful for us".
>>>
>>> The other aspect is that - and I might be terribly wrong here - I think
>>> that one of the goals Neutron API was already supposed to abstract the
>>> complexity of network topologies - if we need another API (or perhaps more
>>> aptly an extension of the Neutron API) to satisfy this goal, does this mean
>>> the Neutron API is failing in one of its main goals?
>>>

>> Not to hijack this thread, but this is exactly the reason Cisco, IBM,
>> Juniper, Nuage Networks, Plexxi, Red Hat and others are proposing the
>> following BP at the Summit this week [1]. I think as you will read in the BP
>> the abstractions of the Neutron API can be extended such that it removes
>> some of the complexity for API users. We have a session Friday afternoon in
>> the Neutron track to discuss these in fact. Looking forwarding to a lively
>> discussion!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kyle
>>
>> [1]
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZbOFxAoibZbJmDWx1oOrOsDcov6Cuom5aaBIrupCD9E/edit?pli=1
>>

> Hi Kyle, can you copy this to etherpad.openstack.org and link it from
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Summit/Icehouse/Etherpads

Hi Clint:

I've already posted an etherpad there, it's in fact at this link [1]. I've
copied some notes there, it's hard to translate the diagrams but what I've put
in there is enough to get the discussion going on Friday.

Thanks,
Kyle

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Group_Based_Policy_Abstraction_for_Neutron