On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 05:29:22PM -0600, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> Since danpb hasn't been around I've sort of forgotten about this, but we
> should talk about bumping the minimum required libvirt version in nova.
>
> Currently it's 1.2.1 and the next was set to 1.2.9.
>
> On master we're gating on ubuntu 14.04 which has libvirt 1.3.1 (14.04 had
> 1.2.2).
>
> If we move to require 1.2.9 that effectively kills 14.04 support for
> devstack + libvirt on master, which is probably OK.
>
> There is also the distro support wiki [1] which hasn't been updated in
> awhile.
>
> I'm wondering if 1.2.9 is a safe move for the next required minimum version
> and if so, does anyone have ideas on the next required version after that?

I think libvirt 1.2.9 is absolutely fine as a next version. It is still
ancient history comparatively speaking.

The more difficult question is what happens after that. To go further than
that effectively requires dropping Debian as a supportable platform since
AFAIK, they never rebase libvirt & next Debian major release is still
unannounced.  So the question is whether "stock" Debian is something the
project cares about targetting or will the answer be that Debian users
are required to pull in newer libvirt from elsewhere.

Also, it is just as important to consider minimum QEMU versions at the
same time, though it could just be set to the lowest common denominator
across distros that remain, after choosing the libvirt version.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|