Thomas Herve wrote:
> [...]
> At any rate, it's a matter of trust, a subject that comes from time to
> time, and it's fairly divisive. In this case though, I find it ironic
> that I can approve whatever garbage I want on master, it can make its
> way into a release, but if I want a bugfix backported into another
> branch, someone else has to supervise me.

Originally the lock was there to make sure that people with stable/*
rights were aware of the stable policy (in particular which changes are
backportable depending on the support phase). Rules to apply in stable
reviews are *completely* different from the rules to apply on master
reviews - so being trusted for master doesn't magically make you aware
of review rules for stable.

That said, I thought that we now defaulted to trusting the local stable
liaison to ensure that the policy was well-known and directly add people
to the group... (with stable-maint being able to remove people if
needed, ask for forgiveness rather than permission, etc.)

I guess that's something we could discuss in the Stable team room
(Monday morning) at the PTG for those who will be around then.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)