Hi All,

I would like to throw my hat in the ring to be part of the OpenStack Technical
Committee.

I'm working for the OpenStack Foundation as Ecosystem Technical Lead where my
responsibility is to help our members to succeed with OpenStack both as
software and community. My main focus areas are Telecom/NFV and on boarding new
contributors.

My OpenStack journey started more than three years ago by adding rich query
functionality to Ceilometer where I’m currently a core reviewer. By my
contributions I’m the constant voice of usability and maintainability aspects
while encouraging collaboration within and between project teams. Among other
projects I’ve been contributing to Cinder, Nova and OpenStack Manuals[1] as
well.

I would like to increase diversity in the TC group, but more importantly my
goal is to add fresh blood to the group driving this community. In my
opinion it is crucial to constantly revisit items from a different perspective
and let new voices articulate their views and ideas in order to see the big
picture. Long term this can ensure that OpenStack keeps its adaptability to
continue to be a smoothly functioning ecosystem providing a stable and
successful software package.

In the course of my current role within the Foundation I continuously learn
about the goals and challenges of our ecosystem companies who are productizing,
distributing and operating OpenStack. As my current focus turns more towards
Telecom vendors and operators, and NFV and SDN related use cases I see this as
an area, where notwithstanding the already ongoing great work there is still
room for further improvements. As a former employee of a Telecom vendor during
the past few years I saw and experienced the difficulties and even pain of
trying to find the common language between the two groups and making the
contributions happen. While the situation is improving, I think it is very
important to continue to help the Telecom industry in the transformation to fit
into the cloud terminology and the open source era. By this process OpenStack
can leverage the advantages that this completely different set of priorities
and requirements could offer, such as increased stability and advanced
networking functionality, like how it was demonstrated in Barcelona during the
keynotes [2].

I’ve been involved in OPNFV [3] for about two years now and I’m also one of the
ambassadors [4]. I’m continuously working on to find the connection points
between the two communities [7] to build a large ecosystem which fits
OpenStack's current priorities in the sense of actively supporting and being
the foundation for NFV. As part of the TC I would like to continue to help the
ongoing joint activities to create an interoperability test suite for the NFV
area and have OPNFV’s CI system integrated with OpenStack to get close to
immediate feedback while developing new Telecom and NFV related features. As
the adoption of OpenStack in the Telecom area is continuously growing and
operators are looking at OpenStack as a main building
block for their systems, I would like to serve as a representative in the
technical driving force of OpenStack, who can operate as a translator to build
a common roadmap.

During the past few years I’ve been driving the activities to add the volume
multi-attach functionality to Nova, which turned into a collaborative activity
between the two teams to simplify the interaction between the two services. By
this work we are increasing maintainability of the code bases and stability of
the services. Driven by the experiences of this work I see cross-project
collaboration as an area, to further improve. As part of the TC I would like to
continue driving cross-project activities, where I would like to help with
making the interactions between the teams
more efficient to ensure end-to-end feature implementation and continuous code
maintenance and improvement.

I’m also involved in the Upstream Institute activities to provide guidance to
newcomers to the community. As our community is a continuously changing
environment it is crucial to be welcoming and ensure we distribute the
knowledge about our services and code base while remaining open to transfer
responsibilities to newer community members. To help build and maintain this
mindset, we are building a liaison team to participate in the training
activities while also have the constant awareness of on-boarding new members to
the teams. As a TC member I would like to help the project teams to share and
maintain this mindset to help the contributor ecosystem to remain healthy and
balanced and our teams to become more efficient. As part of this mission I
would continue to invest energy in bringing sessions on stage at the OpenStack
Summits[5][6] to share the lessons I learnt during the past three and a half
years.

Thank you for reading through my thoughts. It is an honor to be part of
OpenStack, which is why I would like to take part in helping to further the
efforts of providing a package that can serve the whole industry and which is
backed up by a growing and smoothly functioning ecosystem.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,
Ildikó (ildikov)

[1]