Hi all

More volunteers for you - myself (Calum Loudon) and Colin Tregenza Dancer from
Metaswitch (http://metaswitch.com).

We're new to OpenStack development, so a bit of context: we develop software
for the telecoms space, ranging from low-level network stacks to voice
applications.  We see enormous interest in the idea of the "software Telco",
with telecoms providers now really understanding cloud and wanting to move to
it; you may have heard of Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV), a big push by
the telecoms industry to define how this will work, and which implicitly
assumes OpenStack as the underlying cloud platform.

NFV needs a few things OpenStack doesn't currently provide, mainly due to the
extremely high reliability & bandwidth/latency requirements of Telco-grade apps
compared to typical Enterprise-grade data apps, and we want to contribute code
to help close those gaps.  From what I learnt in Hong Kong, I think that
initially means richer placement policies (e.g. more advanced (anti)affinity
rules; locating VMs "close" to storage or networks; globally-optimal placement)
and if I'm following this list correctly then I think this activity is the
first step towards that goal, enabling in future phases Yathi's vision of
instance groups with smart resource placement [1] which closely resembles our
own.

So we'd love to help in whatever way is needed - please count us in.

cheers

Calum

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1IiPI0sfaWb1bdYiMWzAAx0HYR6UqzOan_Utgml5W1HI/edit