Hi Daniel,

I spent some more time reading your write up on the wiki (and it is a great
write up BTW), and had a couple of further questions (I think my original ones
are also still valid, but do let me know if / where I'm missing the point):

iv) In the worked example where do the preferred_topology and
mandatory_topology come from ?  (For example are these per host configuration
values)

v) You give an example where its possible to get the situation where the
combination of image_hw_cpu_topology, flavour means the instance can't be
created (vcpus=2048) but that looks more like a flavour misconfiguration
(unless there is some node that does have that many vcpus).   The case that
worries me more is where, for example an image says it need "max-sockets=1" and
the flavour says it needs more vcpus that can be provided from a single socket.
  In this case the flavour is still valid, just not with this particular image
- and that feels like a case that should fail validation at the API layer, not
down on the compute node where the only option is to reschedule or go into an
Error state.

Phil