Hi Alex,

First of all thank you for writing this up the summary and list options with
their expected impacts.

> 1. We could combine all of the documentation builds, so that each project has
> a single doc/source directory that includes developer, contributor, and user
> documentation. This option would reduce the number of build jobs we have to
> run, and cut down on the number of separate sphinx configurations in each
> repository. It would completely change the way we publish the results,
> though, and we would need to set up redirects from all of the existing
> locations to the new locations and move all of the existing documentation
> under the new structure.
>
> 2. We could retain the existing trees for developer and API docs, and add a
> new one for "user" documentation. The installation guide, configuration
> guide, and admin guide would move here for all projects. Neutron's user
> documentation would include the current networking guide as well. This option
> would add 1 new build to each repository, but would allow us to easily roll
> out the change with less disruption in the way the site is organized and
> published, so there would be less work in the short term.

I’m fully in favor for option #1 and/or option #2. From the perspective of
trying to move step-by-step and give a chance to project teams to acclimatize
with the changes I think starting with #2 should be sufficient.

Although if we think that option #1 is doable as a starting point and also end
goal, you have my support for that too.

> 3. We could do option 2, but use a separate repository for the new
> user-oriented documentation. This would allow project teams to delegate
> management of the documentation to a separate review project-sub-team, but
> would complicate the process of landing code and documentation updates
> together so that the docs are always up to date.

As being one of the advocates on having the documentation living together with
the code so we can give a chance to the experts of the code changes to add the
corresponding documentation as well, I'm definitely against option #3. :)

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ildikó