On 05/31/2017 06:39 AM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 06:37:02AM -0500, Sean McGinnis wrote:
We had a discussion a few months back around what to do for cryptography
since pycrypto is basically dead [1]. After some discussion, at least on
the Cinder project, we decided the best way forward was to use the
cryptography package instead, and work has been done to completely remove
pycrypto usage.

It all seemed like a good plan at the time.

I now notice that for the python-cinderclient jobs, there is a pypy job
(non-voting!) that is failing because the cryptography package is not
supported with pypy.

So this leaves us with two options I guess. Change the cryto library again,
or drop support for pypy.

I am not aware of anyone using pypy, and there are other valid working
alternatives. I would much rather just drop support for it than redo our
crypto functions again.

Thoughts? I'm sure the Grand Champion of the Clients (Monty) probably has
some input?

There was work a few years ago to get pypy support going - but it never really seemed to catch on. The chance that we're going to start a new push and be successful at this point seems low at best.

I'd argue that pypy is already not supported, so dropping the non-voting job doesn't seem like losing very much to me. Reworking cryptography libs again, otoh, seems like a lot of work.

Monty