On 06/15/2017 10:57 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>> On 2017-06-15 11:15:36 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
>> [...]
>>> I'd like to propose that we introduce a new concept: "OpenStack-Hosted
>>> projects". There would be "OpenStack projects" on one side, and
>>> "Projects hosted on OpenStack infrastructure" on the other side (all
>>> still under the openstack/ git repo prefix).
>>
>> I'm still unconvinced a term is needed for this. Can't we just have
>> "OpenStack Projects" (those under TC governance) and "everything
>> else?" Why must the existence of any term require a term for its
>> opposite?
>
> Well, we tried that for 2.5 years now, and people are still confused
> about which projects are an Openstack project and what are not. The
> confusion led to the perception that everything under openstack/ is an
> openstack project. It led to the perception that "big tent" means
> "anything goes in" or "flea market".
>
> Whether we like it or not, giving a name to that category, a name that
> people can refer to (not "projects under openstack infrastructure that
> are not officially recognized by the TC"), is I think the only way out
> of this confusion.
>
> Obviously we are not the target audience for that term. I think we are
> deep enough in OpenStack and technically-focused enough to see through
> that. But reality is, the majority of the rest of the world is confused,
> and needs help figuring it out. Giving the category a name is a way to
> do that.

Right, I think the point is that we both need to have an internal
understanding, as well as be able to effectively communicate the state
of things with people that aren't reading yaml out of git trees. The
human tendency to need a category for things (especially things they
aren't 100% familiar with the inner workings of) is way too strong to
ignore.

And the fact that namespaces in github mean something to the rest of the
world, even if they don't mean it to us, as that's a first order piece
of data the way other projects organize.

I do kind of wonder if we returned the stackforge or
friends-of-openstack or whatever to the github namespace when we
mirrored if it would clear a bunch of things up for people. It would
just need to be an extra piece of info in our project list about where
those projects should mirror to (which may not be the same namespace as
in gerrit).

        -Sean

--
Sean Dague