On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 8:49 AM, Jimmy McArthur <ji...@openstack.org> wrote:

> Thierry Carrez wrote:
>>
>> The confusion I'm talking about is not the passive-aggressive from
>> people involved in openstack. It's from our prospective new users, who
>> have no idea about our governance, making random searches on Google.
>> It's from people getting hit by marketing message from projects claiming
>> to be official OpenStack projects, while they are not. It's extremely
>> difficult for those to see clearly, especially with all our online
>> presence reinforcing the confusion.
>
> If there is specifically confusion around Google searches, I'd suggest as a
> first step to spend some time working on redirects for dead projects and
> very clearly updating documentation. For all of Google's magic, there are
> some simple and easy rules to help correct bad search data.

This.

Even though I've worked on the docs for years, I don't think we are
improving on this front.

Jimmy, do you know how to put more recent docs (instead of most
established docs) at the top of the search hits? The nature of the
algorithm rewards longevity over recency, and I've never quite learned
how to take care of that.

Are there other specific ideas you have?

> Additionally, we just implemented SwifType on OpenStack.org and docs.o.o b/c
> Google deprecated their Site Search product. We have a ton of control over
> that search and can very easily modify search results.

Pretty sure we want to tackle the "Google is my front page to the
Internet" problem first, but this search change is also excellent and
helpful.

Anne

> Let me know if I can be of service on any of these fronts.

Read my blog: justwrite.click
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com