On 2017-07-28 01:10, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Doug Hellmann's message of 2017-07-27 19:05:16 -0400:
>> Excerpts from Jeremy Stanley's message of 2017-07-27 22:07:33 +0000:
>>> On 2017-07-27 15:40:22 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> The biggest liability is people not realizing there are multiple
>>> "versions" of OpenStack finding an old install doc and using it
>>> because they don't know it's out of date, then seeking support
>>> upstream or just generally contributing to the number of deployments
>>> unnecessarily stuck on obsolete software. The current solution of
>>> not publishing installation guides for EOL releases seems like a
>>> good enough compromise there to me.
>>
>> That content will now live in the project trees. Perhaps part of marking
>> branches in those repos EOL needs to include deleting the install tree
>> from the docs? Now that the docs are in a standard location, that could
>> be part of an EOL script (although it means 2 phases, since we have to
>> land the patch and let the docs rebuild before we remove the branch).
>>
>> We could also update the openstack-manuals tree to not publish links
>> to the install guides (either removing the page or replacing it
>> with a placeholder that explains they should be trying to use a
>> newer version).
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Today we're publishing series-specific (e.g., newton) and
> version-specific (e.g., 10.0.0) docs. I wonder if we should stop
> publishing docs when we tag repositories, and just stick to the
> series? There's no way to go back and update those version-specific
> builds after the fact, so we can't remove the installation guides
> and we can't rebuild them easily if there are security issues with
> the content.

Sorry, send my other email  before reading the whole thread. But reading
this, let me add one more line:

The publishing when tagging was needed for the client libraries that we
only published when tagging. Now we publish *all* docs after each merge.

So, I agree, we can remove the building at tag time,

Andreas
       HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)