(2013/12/06 17:57), Joe Gordon wrote:

> [...]
> (or request id) generation, since OpenStack services are exposed to untrusted
> clients, how would you propose communicating the appropriate transaction id
> to a different service? I can see great benefit to having a glance
> transaction ID carry through to Swift requests (and so on), but how should
> the transaction id be communicated? It's not sensitive info, but I can
> imagine a pretty big problem when trying to track down errors if a client
> application decides to set eg the X-Set-Transaction-Id header on every request
> to the same thing.
>  > >>>
>  > >>> -1 to cross service request IDs, for the reasons John mentions above.
>  > >>>
>  > >>>
>  > >>> Thanks for bringing this up, and I'd welcome a patch in Swift that
> would use a common library to generate the transaction id, if it were
> installed. I can see that there would be huge advantage to operators to trace
> requests through multiple systems.
>  > >>>
>  > >>> Another option would be for each system that calls an another
> OpenStack system to expect and log the transaction ID for the request that
> was given. This would be looser coupling and be more forgiving for a
> heterogeneous cluster. Eg when Glance makes a call to Swift, Glance cloud log
> the
> transaction id that Swift used (from the Swift response). Likewise, when
> Swift makes a call to Keystone, Swift could log the Keystone transaction id.
> This wouldn't result in a single transaction id across all systems, but it
> would provide markers so an admin could trace the request.
>  > >>>
>  > >>> There was a session on this at the summit, and although the notes are
> a little scarce this was the conclusion we came up with.  Every time a cross
> service call is made, we will log and send a notification for ceilometer to
> consume, with the request-ids of both request ids.  One of the
> benefits of this approach is that we can easily generate a tree of all the
> API calls that are made (and clearly show when multiple calls are made to the
> same service), something that just a cross service request id would have
> trouble with.
>  > >>
>  > >> Is wise to trust anything a client provides to ensure traceability?  If
> a user receives a request id back from Nova, then submits that request id in
> an unrelated request to Neutron, the traceability would be effectively
> corrupted.  If the consensus is that we don't want to securely deliver
> request ids for inter-service calls, how about requiring a service to log its
> request id along with the request id returned from a call to another service
> to achieve the a similar result?
>  > >
>  > > Yes, this is what I was proposing. I think this is the best path forward.

I think Logging returned request-id at client side is the best way.
We can track each API call even when multiple API calls are invoked in one API
request.

 > Nova does this for glance client today.  Glance client logs the out glances
 > request Id and that message is wrapped with novas request id.

When I ran devstack, glance client log (with glance request-id) is not wrapped
with nova request-id: http://paste.openstack.org/show/54590/
It is because glanceclient uses standard logging instead of
openstack.common.log.
It is common to all client libraries and I am not sure why client libraries
do not use openstack.common.log.

> Ceilometer wanted notifications of these events as well so it could track
> things better.

Should this feature a part of client libraries or server side which calls
client libraries?
At now client libraries do not return information about response headers
including request-id.
If we support it in server side, a standard way to return request-id in a
response to a caller.
I don't have good idea on it at the moment and it is just a question.

Thanks,
Akihiro