On 01/31/2018 06:15 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
On 1/30/2018 9:33 AM, Colleen Murphy wrote:
At the last PTG we had some time on Monday and Tuesday for
cross-project discussions related to baremetal and VM management. We
don't currently have that on the schedule for this PTG. There is still
some free time available that we can ask for[1]. Should we try to
schedule some time for this?

 From a keystone perspective, some things we'd like to talk about with
the BM/VM teams are:

- Unified limits[2]: we now have a basic REST API for registering
limits in keystone. Next steps are building out libraries that can
consume this API and calculate quota usage and limit allocation, and
developing models for quotas in project hierarchies. Input from other
projects is essential here.
- RBAC: we've introduced "system scope"[3] to fix the admin-ness
problem, and we'd like to guide other projects through the migration.
- Application credentials[4]: this main part of this work is largely
done, next steps are implementing better access control for it, which
is largely just a keystone team problem but we could also use this
time for feedback on the implementation so far

There's likely some non-keystone-related things that might be at home
in a dedicated BM/VM room too. Do we want to have a dedicated day or
two for these projects? Or perhaps not dedicated days, but
planned-in-advance meeting time? Or should we wait and schedule it
ad-hoc if we feel like we need it?

Colleen

[1] https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRmqAAQZA1rIzlNJpVp-X60-z6jMn_95BKWtf0csGT9LkDharY-mppI25KjiuRasmK413MxXcoSU7ki/pubhtml?gid=1374855307&single=true [2] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/queens/limits-api.html [3] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/queens/system-scope.html [4] http://specs.openstack.org/openstack/keystone-specs/specs/keystone/queens/application-credentials.html

These all seem like good topics for big cross-project issues.

I've never liked the "BM/VM" platform naming thing, it seems to imply that the only things one needs to care about for these discussions is if they work on or use nova and ironic, and that's generally not the case.

++ can we please rename it? I think people (myself included) will expect specifically something related to bare metal instances co-existing with virtual ones (e.g. scheduling or networking concerns). Which is also a great topic, but it does not seem to be present on the list.

So if you do have a session about this really cross-project platform-specific stuff, can we at least not call it "BM/VM"? Plus, "BM" always makes me think of something I'd rather not see in a room with other people.