On 12/02/18 14:51, Dean Troyer wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 7:50 AM, Graham Hayes <g...@ham.ie> wrote:
>> Please please move to `availability-zone` - zone is a DNS zone (seen as
>> Keystone took Domain :) ) within OSC.
> As stated in another message, changing the Compute usage of --zone
> makes sense for OSC 4.  Two additional things here:
> * Command option names have a lesser bar to clear (compared to
> resource names which must be unique) for uniqueness, as they are by
> definition context-sensitive.  Like trademarks, the primary objective
> is to reduce user confusion.
> * --zone is really generic and I would suggest that DNS should also be
> using something to qualify it.  The use of --zone in the Compute
> commands pre-dates the existence of Designate by at least a coupe of
> years.

OSC only predates Designate by 5 months ...

> Also, the Network commands use "--dns-*" to refer to anything
> specifically DNS related, so for consistency, "--dns-zone" is a better
> fit.

"Zone" was what we were recommend to use by the OSC devs at the time we
wrote our OSC plugin, and at the time we were also *not* supposed to
name space commands inside service parent (e.g. openstack zone create vs
openstack dns zone create).

For command flags --dns-zone seems like a good idea - but having a plain
--zone is confusing when we have a top level "zone" object in the CLI,
when the type of object that "--zone" refers to is different to
"openstack zone <action>"

- Graham