From: Hongbin Lu
Sent: March-07-18 4:02 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions)
<openstack-dev@lists.openstack.org>
Subject: [api-wg][api][neutron] How to handle invalid query parameters

Hi all,

This is a follow-up for the discussion in Dublin PTG about how Neutron API
server should handle invalid query parameter [1]. According to the feedback, I
sent this ML to seek advice from API-WG in this regards.

As a brief recap, we were discussing how Neutron API server should behave if
invalid query parameters were inputted. Per my understanding, the general
consensus is to make Neutron API server behave consistently with other
OpenStack projects. The question for API-WG is if there is any guideline to
clarify how OpenStack projects should handle invalid query parameters. Query
parameters are various across different projects but it seems most projects
support these four categories of query parameters: sorting, pagination,
filtering, and fields selection. I saw API-WG provided a guideline to define
how to handle valid parameters of these categories [2], but it doesn’t seem to
define how to handle invalid parameters.

I wonder if API-WG could clarify it. For example, if users provide an invalid
filter on listing the resources, should the API server ignore the invalid
filter and return a successful response? Or it should return an error response?
Below is a list of specific scenarios and examples to consider:

1. Invalid sorting. For example:

  GET "/v2.0/networks?sort_dir=desc&sort_key=<invalid_field>"
  GET "/v2.0/networks?sort_dir=<invalid_sort_dir>&sort_key=xxx"

2. Invalid pagination. For example:

  GET "/v2.0/networks?limit=<invalid_limit>&marker=xxx"
  GET "/v2.0/networks?limit=1&marker=<invalid_marker>"

3. Invalid filter. For example:

GET "/v2.0/networks?<invalid_field>=xxx"
GET "/v2.0/networks?xxx=<invalid_value>"

4. Invalid field. For example:

  GET "/v2.0/networks?fields=<invalid_field>"

Best regards,
Hongbin

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1749820
[2]
https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/api-wg/guidelines/pagination_filter_sort.html

________________________________
华为技术有限公司 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
[Company_logo]

________________________________
 本邮件及其附件含有华为公司的保密信息,仅限于发送给上面地址中列出的个人或群组。禁
止任何其他人以任何形式使用(包括但不限于全部或部分地泄露、复制、或散发)本邮件中
的信息。如果您错收了本邮件,请您立即电话或邮件通知发件人并删除本邮件!
This e-mail and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI,
which
is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any
use of the
information contained herein in any way (including, but not limited to, total
or partial
recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender by