This has already happened[1] based on talks during Sydney summit[0]. But
seems
it is not noticed by some guys.

Even though the tag is merged, we should still follow rule during backport
patches
to stable branches. The rules, I think, should be

- do not break upgrade from y-1 or z-1 stream
- API should be still backward compatible, and before removing any feature,
we
  still need one more cycle to mark it as deprecated. and then remove it
 during next cycle.

On the other hand, some bp-like patches like this[2] could be backported to
stable
branches. Since it won't break anything.

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/SYD-stable-policy
[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/519685/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/557729

--