Heya,

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/527658 is a z/VM patch which introduces
their support for config drive. They do this by attaching a tarball to the
instance, having pretended in the nova code that it is an iso9660. This
worries me.

In the past we've been concerned about adding new filesystem formats for
config drives, and the long term support implications of that -- the
filesystem formats for config drive that we use today were carefully
selected as being universally supported by our guest operating systems.

The previous example we've had of these issues is the parallels driver,
which had similar "my hypervisor doesn't support these filesystem format"
concerns. We worked around those concerns IIRC, and certainly
virt.configdrive still only supports iso9660 and vfat.

Discuss.

Michael