On Mon, 23 Apr 2018, Tim Bell wrote:

One of the challenges in the academic sector is the time from
lightbulb moment to code commit. Many of the academic resource
opportunities are short term (e.g. PhDs, student projects,
government funded projects) and there is a latency in current
system to onboard, get the appropriate recognition in the
community (such as by reviewing other changes) and then get the
code committed.  This is a particular problem for the larger
projects where the patch is not in one of the project goal areas
for that release.

This. Many times over this.

The latency that a casual contributor may experience when
interacting with one of the larger OpenStack projects is
discouraging and a significant impedance mismatch for the
contributor.

One thing that might help is what I implied in one of my responses
elsewhere in Doug's collection of questions: Professional OpenStack
developers could be oriented towards enabling and attending to
casual contributors more than addressing feature development. This
is a large shift in how OpenStack is done, but makes sense in a
world where we are trying to maintain an existing and fairly mature
thing: We need maintainers.