Jay Pipes wrote:
[...]
I've also argued in the past that all distro- or vendor-specific deployment tools (Fuel, Triple-O, etc [3]) should live outside of OpenStack because these projects are more products and the relentless drive of vendor product management (rightfully) pushes the scope of these applications to gobble up more and more feature space that may or may not have anything to do with the core OpenStack mission (and have more to do with those companies' product roadmap).

I totally agree on the need to distinguish between OpenStack-the-main-product (the set of user-facing API services that one assembles to build an infrastructure provider) and the tooling that helps deploy it. The map[1] that was produced last year draws that line by placing deployment and lifecycle management tooling into a separate bucket.

I'm not sure of the value of preventing those interested in openly collaborating around packaging solutions from doing it as a part of OpenStack-the-community. As long as there is potential for open collaboration I think we should encourage it, as long as we make it clear where the "main product" (that deployment tooling helps deploying) is.

On the other hand, my statement that the OpenStack Foundation having 4 different focus areas leads to a lack of, well, focus, is a general statement on the OpenStack *Foundation* simultaneously expanding its sphere of influence while at the same time losing sight of OpenStack itself

I understand that fear -- however it's not really a zero-sum game. In all of those "focus areas", OpenStack is a piece of the puzzle, so it's still very central to everything we do.

-- and thus the push to create an Open Infrastructure Foundation that would be able to compete with the larger mission of the Linux Foundation.

As I explained in a talk in Vancouver[2], the strategic evolution of the Foundation is more the result of a number of parallel discussions happening in 2017 that pointed toward a similar need for a change: moving the discussions from being product-oriented to being goal-oriented, and no longer be stuck in a "everything we produce must be called OpenStack" box. It's more the result of our community's evolving needs than the need to "compete".

[1] http://openstack.org/openstack-map
[2] https://www.openstack.org/summit/vancouver-2018/summit-schedule/events/20968/beyond-datacenter-cloud-the-future-of-the-openstack-foundation

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)