On 08/01/2018 02:22 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
On 8/1/2018 12:06 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
To close the loop on the problem I was having, it looks like the allocation_ratio config opts are now just defaults, and if you want to change ratios after the initial deployment you need to do so with the client.

You mean how https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/configuration/config.html#DEFAULT.disk_allocation_ratio defaults to 0.0 and that's used in the ResourceTracker to set the inventory?

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/31e6e715e00571925b1163950ea028bdade60d76/nova/compute/resource_tracker.py#L120

That should get defaulted to 1.0 if you didn't change the config option:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/31e6e715e00571925b1163950ea028bdade60d76/nova/objects/compute_node.py#L207

If you wanted 2.0, then you should set the disk_allocation_ratio config option to 2.0 on that host - I don't think that is a behavior change is it?

I changed disk_allocation_ratio to 2.0 in the config file and it had no effect on the existing resource provider. I assume that is because I had initially deployed with it unset, so I got 1.0, and when I later wanted to change it the provider already existed with the default value. So in the past I could do the following:

1) Change disk_allocation_ratio in nova.conf
2) Restart nova-scheduler and/or nova-compute

Now it seems like I need to do:

1) Change disk_allocation_ratio in nova.conf
2) Restart nova-scheduler, nova-compute, and nova-placement (or some subset of those?)
3) Use osc-placement to fix up the ratios on any existing resource providers

I will note that it's a little annoying that you have to specify all of the fields on this call.

I agree with you. The "openstack resource provider inventory set" command is similar in that it is a total overwrite of all inventory for the provider:

https://docs.openstack.org/osc-placement/latest/cli/index.html#resource-provider-inventory-set

So if you want to add just one inventory class (or change one) then you have to repeat all of the existing inventory if you don't want to lose that. And I don't think "openstack resource provider inventory class set" lets you add new inventory classes, it only lets you update existing ones.

So we probably need something like an --amend option on both commands which are sort of meta commands to retain everything else about the inventory for the provider but only changes the fields that the user specifies.

We've mostly just been trying to get out *any* CLI support at all, so what is there now is basic functionality, warts and all, and we can iterate over time to make the tools more usable.

To track this, I've created an RFE bug in launchpad:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/placement-osc-plugin/+bug/1784932

Cool, thanks.