On Mon, 2014-01-13 at 22:16 +0000, Mark McClain wrote:
> Iā€™d rather us explicitly skip the tests if the module is not available.

I think the danger with that is that you'll have developers running a
bunch of tests, getting skipped results (not failures), and thinking
that everything is hunky-dory -- until they then get a bunch of failures
in the gate and wonder why everything works fine for them but is
breaking in the gate.

After looking at Sean's patch, I think it's an acceptable solution. It's
not ideal, but that's only because Neutron's (and Nova's) unit tests are
not really unit tests at all. They're functional tests that test
significantly more than a single unit of code in each test method.

If the boundary tested in each test method were smaller and contained
only to a single unit of code, not dozens of function calls at once,
then it might be possible to simply mock.patch() the pyudev interface
intersections instead of come up with a no-op Fake implementation of
it...

Best,
-jay